Monday, March 19, 2012

Things Don't Always Go As Expected

Early last evening I went to the Spaulding Rehab Hospital to be evaluated for using a BiPap machine and face mask that would enable me to breath when sleeping or when sedated during the colonoscopy on Wednesday.

DebbieLynne couldn't come with me, so after we kissed each other good bye we didn't expect to see each other until the paratransit van brought me back home in the morning. After I left, her attendant arrived and got her washed up and into bed for the night. DebbieLynne found the bed quite empty with me not there.

Meanwhile at Spaulding things were not going smoothly. The BiPap machine couldn't be set for what I needed to sleep with. After a phone conversation with one of their pulmonary doctors it was determined that a different BiPap machine was needed and since I wasn't going to be able to sleep with the one they had for me at the sleep lab that I should if at all possible find a way to get back home.

I was in my power wheelchair, so my only hope for affordable transportation was with the MBTA RIDE service. I called and the dispatcher was somebody who has known DebbieLynne and me for years. He put me on hold for a few minutes and then let me know a van would pick me up within 45 minutes.

A few minutes later I left the sleep clinic and went out to the front door of the hospital. A RIDE van pulled up and sure enough the driver was there for me. Some schedules had been rearranged and this driver was available to take me home.

So DebbieLynne and I got to spend the night together after all. She was very happy to see me, and happy to hear that the Spaulding pulmonary doctor was confident about which BiPap machine would work for me once one was obtained and I was set up with it.

As I write this on Monday afternoon, the colonoscopy scheduled for Wednesday morning has been postponed until I can be set up with the BiPap that can breath for me during that procedure and for when I'm asleep. Today I've been calling doctors and talking with their secretaries and trying to help coordinate things with the respiratory therapist who could set me up with the equipment I need once He is given the authorization to do so.

Please pray that the right phone calls and emails between the medical personnel go through so I can be set up with the needed breathing support and can reschedule the colonoscopy and everything that will will be needed afterwards.

Deb and I would like to get going on the treatment of the cancer as soon a possible, so delays are frustrating. But the negative pressure ventilator that I've used to breath with when sleeping may break down for the final time very soon so it is crucial that we find something that will work for me as soon as possible.

The postponement of my colonoscopy also allows more time for me me to take care of some important paperwork that needs to be done by specific dates. Hopefully I can finish it off this week.

The delay may also mean DebbieLynne and I will get to go enjoy a day together in Boston. Maybe a stroll on the commons or lunch at Quincy Market. Those day trips that we enjoy so much might not be feasible during periods of cancer treatment.

Things didn't go as expected last week, and they're not going as expected this week either. But God is still God and many people are still praying, so we'll go forward one day, one hour, one moment and one prayer at a time.

Thank you all for your prayers, kind words, and gracious help.

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your prayers. Our God is an awesome God who knows how to answer our prayers.

      Delete
  2. Great post Brother! Steve and I are praying for you and Deb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristy. Keep those prayers coming since things keep changing. Now I'm scheduled to be at Mass. General Hospital tomorrow, not for a oolonoscopy but to try out a BiPap machine they think will work for me.

      Delete